Tuesday 25 May 2010

Not Quite What I Planned

Summer 2010. Conflicting priorities of wanting to see as much of the World Cup as possible, while coping with a busy workload at a very important time. Oh, and overcoming cancer.

A recent survey has suggested that 1 in 7 males will "take a sickie" during the world cup, and so I suppose I'm included in that statistic. I'm also included in the one that says 1 in 3 of us gets cancer - except it's always supposed to happen to someone else.

Anyway, the story to date. I noticed a lump on my neck when I was in Paris with my dad and brother in mid April. Off to my GP when I got back: he originally thought it was tonsilitis and put me on antibiotics, which had no effect. He then referred me to the consultant at Whipps Cross Hospital, who sent me for various checks, and confirmed last Thursday - 20th May - that they had found some cancer cells in the nymph lode in my neck. I had an operation on my throat yesterday (24th May), and will be attending Barts Hospital in London tomorrow to plan the next phase of treatment, which is likely to be 6 weeks of radiotherapy.

So how do I feel about all this, Obviously not great, but OK. All the signs are that it is treatable, and whilst the next few weeks aren't going to be great fun, I'm confident that we'll get through it. The medical staff at Whipps Cross have all been brilliant: efficient, informative and considerate. Well, maybe apart from the guy who prematurely told me that the sample he took from the Fine Needle Aspiration looked healthy, but I'm in a forgiving mood.

A special mention goes to Ruth, the MacMillan nurse assigned to me. I've only met her twice, but already know that I'm in safe hands. She exudes competence and compassion. She speaks in a scouse accent, and I haven't established her football loyalties yet, but I'm assuming that she's an Evertonian.

My wife Catherine (Cheeks to those of us who know her best) is remarkable and extraordinary - in all the right ways. She has a practical and cheerful approach, based on expect-the-worst-and-you-won't-be-disappointed, and she's providing succour and Lucozade. Our girls, Emma and Lucy, are also giving the smiling support that's needed.

It's not always easy to talk about this stuff with friends and relatives, but those who have been told have all been suitably concerned and sympathetic. In some cases, they seem more worried than I am. Thanks to all of you who have sent your best wishes, but don't worry unduly: I'm planning to be fighting fit again very soon.

So why the blog? Well, I don't want to become a conversational cancer-bore, and to avoid having to repeat the same information multiple times, I figured that I could put my thoughts out on cyber-space, and you can follow my progress if you feel like it. I don't know how these things work, but maybe you can post your responses, and we can set up some kind of discussion without ever having to meet face-to-face. it's how friendships work these days, I understand.

Three rules that I would like to be observed:

  • first and foremost: no negativity: I'm not feeling down, although I probably will from time to time. The blog needs to be a haven of optimism;
  • keep it clean: the blog and any responses will - I hope - be seen and read by people of all ages and sensitivities, so quotes from Derek and Clive probably aren't appropriate; and
  • strictly no religion.

I'll post a new blog when there's progress to report, or when I feel it. It may not be all about my illness: among other things on my mind at the moment are whether Everton can fend off the predators circling Mikel Arteta and Steven Pienaar, and the excellence of the new album by Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings ("I Learned The Hard Way"). If you haven't got it yet, go staright to Amazon, and snap it up for £8.95.

And as we're all feeling positive, here are ten songs to make you feel good:

  1. Here Come The Good Times - A House
  2. Five Years Time - Noah And The Whale
  3. Enjoy Yourself - The Specials
  4. If I Had A Million Dollars - Barenaked Ladies
  5. Here Comes The Summer - The Undertones
  6. You Can Make Me Dance, Sing Or Anything - The Faces
  7. One Day Like This - Elbow
  8. That's The Way I Like It - KC & The Sunshine Band
  9. I Got You (I Feel Good) - James Brown
  10. Three Little Birds - Bob Marley & The Wailers

That's all for now.RP

7 comments:

  1. I'm afraid being as well known and liked as you are, your news has been past between all your friends and colleagues with a lot of concern and a fair bit of speed.
    Great idea to do the blog, it will save us all pestering you for updates.
    Wishing you all the best mate and looking forward to your speedy and full recovery.
    Enjoy the sunshine and the football as much as you can.
    - Andrew Childers and the Meercats

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this idea Richard, and glad to see the The Rt Hon ROBERT NESTA MARLEY on the list too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rick, just to let you know that your relatives in the USA are thing of you and wishing you a speedy recovery. Get well soon!

    Margo, Richard, Sarah & Brian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Richard, wishing you a speedy recovery my dear and hope to see you soon. Terri xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Richard - There are ways to get time off to see The World Cup and there are ways to get time off to see The World Cup!

    The blog is amazing, the thoughts are strong and positive and in the words of Yazz in her 1988 smash hit "The Only Way is Up".

    Hope you are getting a cut of the royalties from Sharon and the Daps, you have started a rush on Amazon.......

    Take care and see you and the fabulous Catherine very soon. Shiv & Dom xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Richard,
    Afraid I took you at your word and passed your link along to hundreds and hundreds of people, even the driver on the DLR. I trust that was okay?
    Great to see your sense of humour is still strong!!
    Julie and the girls

    ReplyDelete
  7. Richard

    Just heard the news that you are taking the summer off to watch the World Cup. Hope England can help keep you cheerful.

    Will you come back to running when this is all over? I've got a place in the London Marathon next year and could do with a running buddy...

    Susan

    ReplyDelete