Monday 8 November 2010

Getting Better

Greetings, comrades.

As you'll have gathered from the title of this piece, it really does feel like I'm getting better, day by day. That's not to say that everything in the garden is rosy, but I don't feel constantly nauseous, I'm beginning to get some energy back, and even the horrible, horrible saliva secretions aren't quite the problem that they were.

I still have profound deformities in the chest and neck area, which others assure me are less noticeable than they were, but I'm not so sure. For those of you who have made disparaging comments about my torso in the past: believe me, now that my pectoralis major resides in my neck and cheek, it looks positively massive! The area it has vacated looks more puny than ever, although decorated with a highly impressive scar.

My speech impediment is as bad as ever, and speaking more than a few words is a pretty unpleasant experience. For all that the bad stuff going on inside my mouth is not as bad as it was, I can't go anywhere without a box of tissues, and I've got to learn how to swallow all over again.

Still, it's progress of a sort, and my spirit has improved accordingly: you may have gathered that I've gone through some fairly black moods. Ours is now a house of optimism, although we know that there's a lot of work to do before I'm back to normal. This has been reinforced by reassurances from the medical profession. We visited the Ear Nose & Throat clinic yesterday, and they all professed themselves delighted with my progress, particularly as I was so run down last time they saw me. I'm told that my outrageous neck muscle will atrophy in time, and the speech will significantly improve, although I may never completely recover my former dulcet tones.

The biggest challenge, though, is going to be learning to eat and drink again. Although I had been able to sip fluids, and even managed to eat custard and soup before I went through the radiotherapy, I'm afraid that I'm back at square one. Nancy, my favourite Speech & Language Therapist, is patiently taking me through all this, and has promised to have me drinking Champagne by Christmas, even if Christmas lunch itself may need to be liquidised.

From my position, this is the single most important issue in my long term recovery. As you probably know, a big part of my social life revolves around the dinner table, and it's no secret that I like a glass of wine. The thought of being fed by tube for the rest of my life is not something I want to really contemplate. I'm determined to restore my ability to eat and drink, but it will take a long time and a lot of work.

In spite of all this, I'm hoping to start a phased return to work next month, provided that my progress continues. I suspect that I might start getting a bit stir crazy if I don't get back soon, although I am receiving advice from various quarters not to do too much too soon. I think after six months returning to work might be a bit daunting, particularly given current financial challenges in the public sector, but it's got to be done.

In the meantime, it's onwards and upwards, and here are 10 upward & onward songs.

1. Move On Up - Curtis Mayfield
2. Higher & Higher - Jackie Wilson
3. Up Up And Away - The Fifth Dimension
4. Flyin' High (In The Friendly Sky) - Marvin Gaye
5. Higher Than The Sun - Primal Scream
6. Up With People - Lambchop
7. I Want To Take You Higher - Sly & The Family Stone
8. Ain't No Mountain High Enough - Diana Ross
9. Because I Got High - Afro Man
10. No Matter How High I Get - Wilton Felder & Bobby Womack

(Yes, I know I could have included Up Where We Belong and The Only Way Is Up, but I don't like them.)

Learning to smile again!

RP

5 comments:

  1. Glad you're feeling a bit more like your old self./ There's light at the end of the tunnel./ It's a small world.. but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
    All of the above taken from my book of cliches for every occassion, including the last one which got in by mistake. Anyway, I am glad you're on the road to recovery and look forward to the time we can have a pint or ten in the pub to make up for lost time! If I was you I wouldn't go back to work til the financial climate has improved - say, four years or so!
    B&H

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, that sounds more like it. To be honest being a miserable bastard for a few weeks was quite acceptable behavior in the circumstances. Look forward to catching up when you feel like a pint and a liquidized sunday roast. Lou will probably want to inspect your scars.....but that is nurses for you!!
    Onwards and upwards. Albert

    ReplyDelete
  3. One word and one word only HURRAH!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent,

    Great news and looking forward to the next encouraging post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Last post on 8th!
    So how's the back to work trick going for you?
    Glad you're on the mend
    All going well in Qatar for me.
    I've met some people you'd be quite jealous of!
    Have some wine for me it's quite tricky getting hold of a decent plonk here and mighty expensive.
    Thinkin of you and well wishes
    Luke

    ReplyDelete