Sunday 11 July 2010

From the horses mouth

(Written yesterday)
Good afternoon, friends. This is the real-life RP speaking, from the Bedford-Fenwick ward of St Bartholomew's Hospital. I'm currently on day 19 of what was supposed to be a 14-day stay, and I've just been given the news that I need yet another operation, albeit not major surgery.

I'm sure you've all been following Catherine's regular and admirable updates, but just to summarise:-
- initial madibulectomy and free-flap reconstruction on 21 June seemed to go well, until;
- we discovered on about 30 June that the flap had died, so I went in for a second op, taking skin from my chest to serve as the flap at the back of my throat;
- a few days later, the plastic surgeons noticed that a couple of stitches had worked loose, so it was back to theatre to fix them;
- it now seems that further stitching is required, so I'll be returning for more surgery next week.

So this represents another setback, and another delay, and whilst it's a disappointment it's not a disaster. I'm longing to be away from this confounded place, and have an extreme craving for - believe it or not- a cold glass of water (nil by mouth for the last 3 weeks!). But these wishes will be fulfilled soon. Chin up, cheer up!

Here are ten songs about life's propensity for going wrong.

1 Why do I keep f***ing up - Neil Young and Crazy Horse
2 Looks like I'm up s**t creek again - Tom Waits
3 Life gets tee-jiss - Tex Williams
4 I can't stand up for falling down - Sam and Dave
5 It's the end of the world as we know it - REM
6 Many rivers to cross - Jimmy Cliff
7 The sound of crying - Prefab Sprout
8 I'll never get out of this world alive - Hank Williams
9 Heaven knows I'm miserable now - The Smiths
10 Easy's gettin' harder every day - Iris De Ment

C'est la vie
RP

3 comments:

  1. Welcome back Chief Blogger.
    Following on from your rather gloomy themed record selection, I've trawled through my Northern Soul collection to out-depress you! At least the Northern soul selection sound up-tempo and up-beat even if the lyrics are mournful.
    1. My smile is just a frown turned upside down - Carolyn Crawford
    2. I've had it - Lee Andrews
    3. I can't make it anymore - Spyder Turner
    4. Such Misery - Timmy Willis
    5. Help me - The Spellbinders
    6. It's all over for me - Otis Blackwell
    7. I go to pieces - Gerri Granger
    8. I'm in a world of trouble - The Sweet Things
    9. It's an uphill climb to the bottom - Walter Jackson
    10. It'll never be over for me - Timi Yuro

    and to finish, something a bit more optimistic
    11. Everything's gonna be alright - P P Arnold

    Actually that's a damn good compilation cd in the making...

    After so long enduring nil by mouth, think how good that first beer and first glass of wine are going to taste!

    Keep the faith

    Barney

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did 9 months without alcohol (cheated twice with a glass of champagne), that first glass will taste fantastic!

    Always look on the bright side of life - Eric Idle.

    Some things in life are bad
    They can really make you mad
    Other things just make you swear and curse.
    When you're chewing on life's gristle
    Don't grumble, give a whistle
    And this'll help things turn out for the best...

    And...always look on the bright side of life...
    Always look on the light side of life...

    If life seems jolly rotten
    There's something you've forgotten
    And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing.
    When you're feeling in the dumps
    Don't be silly chumps
    Just purse your lips and whistle - that's the thing.

    And...always look on the bright side of life...
    Always look on the light side of life...

    For life is quite absurd
    And death's the final word
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.
    Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
    Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

    So always look on the bright side of death
    Just before you draw your terminal breath

    Life's a piece of shit
    When you look at it
    Life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true.
    You'll see it's all a show
    Keep 'em laughing as you go
    Just remember that the last laugh is on you.

    And always look on the bright side of life...
    Always look on the right side of life...
    (Come on guys, cheer up!)
    Always look on the bright side of life...
    Always look on the bright side of life...
    (Worse things happen at sea, you know.)
    Always look on the bright side of life...
    (I mean - what have you got to lose?)
    (You know, you come from nothing - you're going back to nothing.
    What have you lost? Nothing!)
    Always look on the right side of life...

    Get your money's worth from the NHS (and of course TH!)

    Love
    H, T and Molly's new best friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Richard,

    It's great to see that you are back up and righting the blogs.

    Hope to see you back soon and I am sure there will be more then a 'cool glass of water' waiting for you.

    All the best for a swift recovery,

    Adam Sargent

    ReplyDelete